Saturday, April 21, 2012

I Am a 5-Star Blogger

Thank you to Charity Preston of The Organized Class Blog for issuing the 5-Star Blogger Challenge. As a reader of blogs myself, I know I get frustrated when I see blogs with only sales promotion and contests. While I do buy products and love to win things, I would also like to see more types of things when I visit a blog. That has been a goal of mine since I started Sub Hub, and I hope that I am coming close to meeting it. According to Charity's 5-Star Challenge, I think I am... at least for now.

5-Star Blogger

For Challenge Number 5, here is my newest teaching tip, and it even comes with a freebie... lapbooks. I love them! The students love them! I feel they are a great alternative assessment and way to compile a large amount of material in one place.

My most recent lapbook is one to go along with our biography unit. The district where I am long-term subbing added quite a few people to the science and social studies curriculum this year. The way my team chose to cover them was in a two-week biography unit where we are reading books, watching movies, and discussing 10 people important in science and social studies. I was looking for a creative way for the students to keep all the information in one place and serve as an assessment at the end of the unit. The lapbook was the perfect solution for me and my class!


Of course, I couldn't find the perfect one, so being a blogger, I made one. My team loved it... several of them are using it as well. Included in my Biography Lapbook Template is an explanation of how to make the lapbook with the foldables inside, a guide as to how all the foldables fit inside, reproducibles for the cover nameplate, the shapes of foldables, and images of all the people we studied. I know, you are probably not studying all the same people, but can add and take away images as necessary. Or use the template for another topic altogether... just use the shapes and the template for how they go together, and add your own content.

I hope you find it useful!

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I will put it in my Social Studies file for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Definitely a 5-Star Blogger! Thanks for linking up!

    Charity
    The Organized Classroom Blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I did a lapbook with my year 3/4's when studying the human body! They loved creating new pockets of information when they learnt something new! I love these... I am now a substitute teacher (known as a casual teacher in the land of Oz) and look forward to following you and your wonderful creations! Come check out and follow my blog, and hopefully we can share some great sub teachers' resources! xo http://mymumtheteacher.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was just what I was looking for in my search tonight. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent! I'm printing it absent so I can write a good petite bio. a lot of thanks for the good case in point!
    touch BrowningAwards

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...