Sunday, December 18, 2011

Filling Holiday Down Time with Snowman Stumper

The other day I found myself in a classroom during their holiday party with a little down time. They had a holiday memory game they were playing in pairs, and were quickly losing interest in that. A movie was scheduled to come on, but there were a couple of technical glitches causing a delay. I had to think fast before the room erupted in chaos (yep, it happens that fast). I had the students clean up and announced we would play Snowman Stumper (name made up off the top of my head because I love alliteration). I told the students it was just like Hangman, only I would draw a snowman as letters were not guessed. I thought of a word (snowman was my first; yea, I know, real creative). And I used the class set of popsicle sticks to choose students to guess letters. They guessed that one really fast since the name of the game was Snowman Stumper, but it served as a nice introduction as to how to play. I proceeded to play the game using additional holiday words such as reindeer, Santa, snow, Rudolph, Frosty, etc. We didn't get through too many rounds before the movie came on, but the students wanted to play again later. And the class was managed through a dicey time.

7 comments:

  1. Love this! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo! I love simple and quick! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! I'll keep that in my bag of tricks for Monday and Tuesday when I'm with 1st grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel - you are too cool! I love alliteration too! LOVE this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just awarded you the Liebster Award!! Hop on over and pick it up!! :)

    Live Laugh and Love to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a good idea. I have also drawn the snowman first and erased a piece at a time. We called it "Don't Melt the Snowman!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hangman with the students spelling words all the time. I will use this & the reverse idea from now on. I'm sure we can all come up with characters for other holidays & times of the year as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...