Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Reading Sequencing and a Diary of Worm Freebie

Sequencing is an important reading comprehension skill for students to practice. It's even a reading and writing Common Core standard in many grade levels. And it's a skill I love to teach since there are so many fun ways to practice it. You can have students act it out, retell, draw comic strips, practice using time words, and so on.

Back more years than I would like to remember when my first child was born, Diary of a Worm was one of the first children's books I discovered as a parent. I loved the blend of humor, fact, fiction, and environmentalism and read it to my daughter. She loved it just as much as I did, and we read that book over and over. Then when I started graduate school, student teaching, and subbing, I remembered the book and carried it with me everywhere I went. My poor copy has been so well loved that its cover is coming off, and pages have been mended many times.

Fast forward to 2011 when I started Sub Hub and began writing free lesson plans. One of the first themes I chose was an author focus on Doreen Cronin... all because of my love of Diary of a Worm. You can find those free 2nd Grade Doreen Cronin Emergency Sub Plans here.


I thought I would revisit my old friend and make a new freebie for you. So, here is a free Diary of a Worm Sequencing/Timeline Activity. I wrote the activity so it can be done as either a sequencing activity with the events getting glued inside the worm body segments or a timeline activity with the events getting glued on the provided timeline. If you do this with older students, you can just give them the blank sequence or timeline sheet and have them write in events from the story. The super cute graphics were done my fabulous friend Michelle at 3am Teacher. Visit her at her 3am Teacher blog and her Teachers Pay Teachers store.

And if you don't own a copy of this amazing book, why not? Ha! No, really... it's a great stand-by read-aloud with so many activities you can do with it. Here is the Amazon link, if you need a place to buy a copy:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...