Sunday, November 6, 2011

Brown Bag Books... Endless Possibilities

I promised some sharing from the professional development I went to on Friday. Here is one idea I was particularly inspired by... brown bag books. They are made from regular brown paper lunch sacks and some index cards. And the possibilities of their uses are endless. Since my class is studying the wetlands, and inferencing is a skill that students always need practice with, I thought about combining the two. I will be having my students create Wetland Animal Inference Riddles. They will write the clues on the brown bag page, and the answer goes on the index card that slips into the openings of the bag. Here are the directions:

1) Cut off the bottoms of 2 or 3 lunch bags so there are openings at both ends.


2) Stack the bags on top of each other and fold in half. Secure the binding with staples or punch holes and tie the bags together.


3) Slide index cards into each pocket.


4) Write and decorate the book with whatever skill or theme you'd like.
 


I thought they could be used for moon phases, vocabulary, synonyms, antonyms, math story problems, etc. What else can you think of using them for?

7 comments:

  1. So cute...I see a nath word problem book coming my way soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea. I can see using it for Social Studies when we study landforms or different communities. The bags can be used as an around-the-room quiz. Give the students a clipboard and worksheet, and various questions and/or riddles can be used. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and love it. Every great teacher needs a super sub!
    2B Honey Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking word family books. Pan Change the___ to a___. What is the word? Each card could be thee intro word for the next word on the next page. Hmm...something for my student teacher to create! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is outstanding! The excess can be used to hold extra index cards as well. I'm using mine to capture all the Ticket out the Door note cards my class does. At the end of the semester I'll give them their book with the ToTD tucked in the pockets. Hopefully it will be a good way for them to keep up with their study notes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...